|
Thread Tools
|
Search Thread
|
Display
|
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
I have some questions regarding Catholic doctrine. I have been
thinking about them and can't seem to get my thoughts straight and am
seeking someone with whom to discuss them. I apologize that they are not
orderly but I hope they are of interest and that you would join me in
conversation.
My first question comes from the liturgy of the Eucharist. I have no major qualms with the idea of Christ being fully present in the Eucharist, so that in and of itself does not bother me. What I don't understand is the language used during the liturgy. I know Catholic doctrine refutes the idea that it is sacrificing Christ again and again, but I do not understand the language that seems to suggest that the priest is offering up Christ in the Eucharist as a sacrifice. I understand saying that the bread and wine are our offering, but with the Holy Spirit turning our offering into our spiritual food and drink, isn't the presence of Christ not the priest's to offer up? I also am confused by the idea of needing to use the language of sacrifice. I understand Christ's sacrifice can be present for each of us in every moment, even though it was a "once and for all" sacrifice. But why does the language in the mass seem to suggest that the Eucharist is a necessary sacrifice made by the priest. Below are some of the words that bring these questions to mind: Priest: Pray, my brothers and sisters, that our sacrifice may be acceptable to God, the almighty Father. All: May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands, for the praise and glory of his name, for our good, and the good of all his holy Church. "Therefore, as we celebrate the memorial of his Death and Resurrection, we offer you, Lord, the Bread of life and the Chalice of salvation, giving thanks that you have held us worthy to be in your presence and minister to you." Another thing I do not understand, nor agree with, is the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. I have read that there are documents from the early Church that support this doctrine. However, it seems to me that there is absolutely no necessity in having this doctrine. The Father works in mysterious ways, and of course the Incarnation is a great mystery. Why is there a need to claim that Mary was born without sin? Couldn't God use her to mother His Begotten Sin even if she were sinful? I also do not understand the need to claim that Mary remained a virgin. I understand that in order to align with the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, Mary would be completely pure. But having sexual relations in the context of true marriage does not in any way blemish some person, correct? I just don't understand the reasons for having such doctrine. Whether it is true or not seems to have no effect on God's plan of salvation through the offering of Jesus Christ. God would find a mother for His Son, and Mary is the blessed one who was chosen. And she is a great role model of faith, especially for Christian women, and I find that many denominations run away from talking about Mary because she is "too Catholic." But I do not understand why she holds such an important place in the "economy of salvation" seeing as God would reveal and work out His plan regardless of the faithfulness or unfaithfulness of man and woman. These doctrines, though I do not think in essence attempt to dethrone Christ or lessen His importance, seem to carry the attention of the faithful away from Christ. I have many other questions but feel these are the ones that come to mind at the moment. Because I have these disagreements with Catholic doctrine, I feel like I am out of line with what I see as the biggest claim of the Roman Catholic Church, that the Magisterium, when speaking on doctrine, is infallible. If I disagree with some doctrine, am I not disagreeing with the entirety of Catholicism as a whole? I guess I feel like there is no room for doubt in Catholicism. If I am truly Catholic in faith, would I not agree and follow the Magisterium's doctrine despite questions? I don't believe I am making much sense here, but any thoughts, explanations, and prayers would be so greatly appreciated. In Christ, Andrea |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
I am offering you my prayers. These are good questions that although I
believe I know the answers to, I don't feel qualified to answer them.
Hopefully someone who is qualified will come soon to help you with that
|
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
In regards to the Eucharist:
The Mass is a re-presentation of Christ's sacrifice. When Christ was sacrificed he spiritually offered himself up. In the Mass thé priest acts in the person of Christ. He represents Christ who offered up Christ at Calvary. In regards to Mary: God is perfect. He could not inhabit a sinful creature, as he inhabited Mary for nine months. Therefore it was necessary that Mary be perfect. As to her perpetual virginity, she was spiritually the spouse of the Holy Spirit, in a similar way to how the Church is the bride of Christ, therefore it was necessary that she have sexual relations with no man. |
No comments:
Post a Comment